Willsbridge Mill Community Refresh

History

The Mill buildings and wooded valley is steeped in history. The woodland is a small part of the ancient Kingswood Forest which used to extend from The Severn to Landsdown in the South. The main road past the Queens Head was originally a Roman road through the forest giving access to The river Severn and on to Wales. There was an Anglo Saxon well and drinking point opposite the site of the Queens Head.
The Mill, was constructed by the Pearsall family in 1712, on the site of Oldland Manor. They lived in the Willsbridge House (The Castle) opposite the access to the Mill and the Limes (a large house, now a ruin in the wooded area next to the entrance to the Mill) was built as a residence for one of the sisters.
In 1840 the Mill was used to ground flour and the Mills family that managed the mill lived in the Mill Cottage next to the Barn. This brief history only scratches the surface so if you wish to read more and look at some old images of the Mill and local area go to www.flickr.com and search for Willsbridge Mill.
WMCR intend to set up a local history display and information boards within the ground floor of the Mill as part of our development plans.